Abandoned buildings are always a little sad but this one is particularly so since it was still in beautiful condition as late as 2009 during a dedication ceremony there. Since then (even though it is right in the middle of a busy state park…) it’s been badly vandalized. Nearly all the windows are boarded up or boarded up and painted to look like a window.
In 1830 Delaware passed a law to establish public school and this little one was built that year to be the second to open. There were limited elementary grades and the teachers themselves weren’t that educated. Right after the U.S. Civil War, the school was moved to a larger location to allow for expanded grades (and more educated teachers). It’s moved a few times since but it’s still running!